Search This Blog

Friday, December 27, 2013

Johnny Ramone's brain surgery

I'm going to try to start writing about celebrities with Hydrocephalus, or celebrities who has had brain surgery at some point. These tend to be my most popular topics and I really enjoy writing them. I have a couple Hydrocephalus ones in mind right now but I would have to more research into it, instead of putting it off until it's time to write. If I'm writing about a celebrity that actually has Hydrocephalus I'll mention it in the title. Although it's always possible with a brain injury it doesn't always happen, and I have no proof with it from what I've read about Johnny.

Johnny Ramone is the stage name of Johnny Cummings who played guitar for the American punk rock band Ramones for 22 years, starting from the time they started playing in 1974 until they broke up in 1996. Johnny and his band mates went by the name surname Ramone, which was inspired by Paul McCartney going by Paul Ramone for a short period of time before they became famous in the United States. Johnny Ramone passed away almost a decade ago from Prostate cancer. So I want to make it clear that even if I'm writing about someone who has passed away that his death and the brain surgery is not connected.

I found out about his brain surgery within the last couple of weeks and decided to look more into it. I was having a hard time finding information on it. The information that I kept on coming across was that he had gotten into a fight with a member of another punk band (Seth Macklin of Sub Zero). He was found unconscious and ended up needing 4 hours of delicate brain surgery.  The best article I found what the start of Chapter 5 of his autobiography. In it he said that he had been dropped off in front of his old apartment where his ex-girlfriend Cynthia Whitney (also known as Roxy Ramone) was sitting outside with a guy he didn't recognize. When he confronted her he ended up getting into a fight with the guy that was outside with Cynthia. He didn't remember getting into a fight, just waking up in a hospital, not knowing where he was. According to others who saw the fight Johnny had been kicked in the head multiple times. The result was a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain, which the doctors didn't think he would survive. Johnny didn't think that he had suffered any brain damage but others saw a difference in him. It did however make him more cautious of head injuries.

He had a take it easy for a while and it took a few months before he was able to start performing again. The next album that the Ramones released was inspired by what had happened, and was called "Too Tough to Die". He had a shaved head when he came back to perform which is why he wore a hat for a while. Thanks for reading :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=dBZlyEn5H1gC&pg=PT114&lpg=PT114&dq=johnny+ramone+brain+surgery&source=bl&ots=j9csxgfA-K&sig=ynuNDes2aeeJIwh3XrmUV5Jli54&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jFi1UunsEKOEygG75YCoAw&ved=0CGcQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=johnny%20ramone%20brain%20surgery&f=false

 http://www.beatleswiki.org/wiki/Paul_Ramon

 http://razmatazmag.com/?tag=johnny-ramone

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE Ramones fan. Especially Johnny, but they all we're great. You can read more about the head injury in Marky Ramones book. I think it's called "my punk rock life" or something like that. I read it a few years ago when it first came out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there when it happened. I was his girlfriend, Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete