Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2021

Alien Ant Farm's Dryden Mitchell's spinal injury

This is one of several posts where I'm going a little off subject. I've done it some before but definitely plan on doing it more often in the near future as I run out of ideas. I figure that considering the condition I normally write about there are probably people who will see this with spinal injuries, or at least spinal related birth defects. I really started to like Alien Ant Farm when they peaked when I was High School, and liked them even more when I got their album Anthology. Between Anthology and their next album Truant they were in a bus accident in Spain when they crashed into a semi that was pulled over on the side of the road. The driver Christopher Holland was killed in the accident, and caused serious injuries to the lead singer Dryden and the band's head of security, David Zajic. David suffered a fractured skull and Dryden fractured his C2 vertebrae which was made worse by the way he loaded into the ambulance. The injury caused him temporary paralysis, but could have easily caused permanent paralysis by the injury itself , or how the way he was moved right after. In a article several months later, Dryden said that the long term affects of his injury that was still a problem at the time was a lot of nerve damage and not being able to feel his finger tips. In a recent interview, he mentions the nerve damage again but not the numbness in his finger tips. He started to perform again soon after little by little and they released their next album a little over a year later.

The links below are my main sources and include that I left out, partially because I wrote this post and did all my research on different days and based it off what I could remember. The first video is a recent interview and includes Dryden talking about the bus accident and also their new album that came out this year. The first music video is their most popular singer, and a song that may be the only Alien Ant Farm song they've heard. The song is a cover of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal". The second music video is their song "Glow" is from their album Truant and one of the first music videos after the accident. The third music video is "Movies" which is on the same album as Smooth Criminal, and it received minor airplay on at least MTV when it was released. The Fourth music video is "Let Em Know" from their most fifth album Always and Forever.

I wrote this blog post 6 years ago, and ended up not posting it until now. I'm trying to get back into the habit of writing my blog frequently. and decided that finishing this blog post would be a good choice, forgetting that I had finished it, and never posted. I added an extra link with more information about his recovery. I also want to add that I saw AAF at the Pima County Fair 5 years ago. I couldn't afford to go see them at their peak, and missed them my first chance or two after their hiatus ended.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/a/alien_ant_farm/news_feature_030710/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/75599/alien-ant-farm-recovering-after-bus-accident


http://www.mtv.com/news/1455168/alien-ant-farm-singer-still-recovering-from-bus-accident/

http://www.thefader.com/2002/09/25/dryden-mitchell-of-alien-ant-farm-slowly-making-his-way-back-after-crash

 

New link:

 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/alien-ant-farm-starting-small-again/UOS67WFUXEJQYC6WOP6W26S62M/ 





No comments:

Post a Comment