Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

ankle surgery in clubfooted children

Sorry I haven't blogged this week,I was sick so I couldn't make it to the library..

I'm gonna try to continue on talking about side effects of brain damage hopefully on Thursday.Today I'm going to talk about a surgery that my Dad got me out of as a kid,before this past week it's something I knew very little about.What I knew or at least understood was that because my wasn't straight,and the reason for that had something to do with Hydrocephalus but I never knew how.I also knew that the surgery would have involved shattering my ankles,putting in screws (or pins) so they would grow straight.

I found out this week that the correct term for him it "clubfooted",and it's more common with kids with Spina bifida,Cerebal palsy and dandy-walker syndrome.Two of the three (dws amd sb) are common causes of Hydrocephalus but that I know it's unknown how I developed it. I also learned this week that the cause is Abnormal muscle pull.I haven't had the chance to really look up what abnormal muscle pull exactly but it's better than not knowing anything.Some more info I've found out about the surgery so far is that in the early years of the surgery they didn't use screws or pins,they would just shatter the kid's ankles and then put a cast on it,and that even if it's been controversial (for obvious reasons) the entire time it's been around (50 years) they have yet to come up with a better way of fixing the problem so the surgery is still be performed currently.I also found it out it could corrected by braces,and the surgery should be a last resort.Also that it's common the problem will come back.

Below is a link for more info about the surgery,and thanks for reading.
http://tinyurl.com/74zzm34

No comments:

Post a Comment