Search This Blog

Friday, November 15, 2013

My tendency to lose jackets/sweaters as a kid..

I have a hoodie that I've been wearing for about 7 years now, and until last year it was the only one that I wore for that period of time. I bought it for about 50 dollars at Hot Topic and it was made by Tripp NYC clothing. It resembles their pants that were still popular with the "modern goth" crowd at the time. It's black, with green fabric on it with a zippers and chains hanging off it. It's pretty torn up now which is one of the reasons I stopped wearing it as much as I used to. My point is that it's by far the longest I've ever had any kind of sweater or jacket. I had a few that I grew out of, but with most I would end up losing them. Some years I ended up going through 2 or 3 of them in one school year because I kept on losing them. I would lose school supplies too among other things. Most often what I lost would be gone by the time I got back. Part of the problem is that I wouldn't notice that it's gone until at night or even the next morning. In the back of my mind I figured it had to do with Hydrocephalus, and I knew that there wasn't much I could do to help it. But I had a really hard time trying to convince others of that. I was always thought of to have behavior problems instead of neurological/memory problems even if I clearly struggled with other problems that had to do with Hydrocephalus and a medical device that goes until my brain. 

I still forget things on a somewhat regular basis but it's usually at work in my department's backroom so depending on what I left behind, it's usually still there when I come back. If I do lose something and not be able to get it back, it's usually something I can replace without it being anyone else's problem. I've also figured out a couple techniques to help me stop myself from losing stuff as often. If I'm going to be sitting down and will be putting something down I'll either make it a point to put it on my lap or at eye level. If I'm at work I usually stash my jacket or whatever I have with me right away so if I do leave it behind, it will be in a place that not's likely to be seen so it's not as likely to be stolen. 

I'm still not positive what causes me to lose things more often than others, and I definitely cant remember when I had different circumstances when I was growing up. There were periods of time where I was definitely more stressed out, but I don't remember if I lost more stuff when I was going through those hard times. Something that I've discovered has a effect on me when it comes to Hydrocephalus related problems in general is weather. It's different for everyone but it usually has to do with weather mainly rainstorms, allergies or weather shifts in general, and the moon. The purpose of this topic is to help other people with neurological disorders, and their loved ones. I hope to help others, especially youth to be understood when they get a tendency  to misplace things. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment