Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Paraphrasing the Hydrocephalus Association's Teacher Guide: Learning Disabilities (Part 3)

 The last two sub-sections are motor skills, and organizational skills. I'm going to keep both pretty limited, and then do more research,and post about the same subjects later on. I've posted about motor skills talking about my own personal skills during my first year of blogging which can be found by clicking on motor skills label at the end of the post. I've just recently started to figure out how to write about organizational skills in depth through mentoring, and I plan to work on that soon.

 

The three kinds of motor skills that tend to be effected with children with hydrocephalus is psycho-motor coordination, fine motor skills, and visual motor skills. According to the Teacher's Guide psycho-motor skills shows in clumsiness, and not being aware of how much space their body occupies.The guide was most specific with fine motor skills effecting writing but it also includes cutting with scissors, tracing, artwork, and participating in games. Children with hydrocephalus may have problems with printing and writing cursive. Their handwriting may be in poor quality and unevenly spaced. They may also write slowly compared to their peers. The hydrocephalus association encourages using computers for all writing assignments, but from experience that might not be financially available, and may cause their handwriting to be worse later on. With the visual motor skills section I'll have to do more research on it, and include it in another post because of my inability to understand what the Teacher's Guide means by everything. What I do understand is that it includes not being able to tell distance and direction. The distance part I've always assumed was poor depth perception because of my eyes. The direction part is another thing I want to research more about, and post later on. Another part of the poor visual motor skills is having trouble keeping in the lines when coloring, and finding their place on a page. Another thing they have problem with is spatial orientation which includes having problems telling the difference between left and right, over and under, and backward and forward. 


Children with hydrocephalus may have problems following with one step. The next paragraph mentions that may have trouble understanding the information as a whole, and finding the meaning of it. So the two things are most likely related. It may affect the neatness and quality of their work. It also means trying to understand every detail instead of the information of a whole which quickly turns into a information overload. According to the Teacher's Guide this may result in them using familiar habits or routines to cope which resembles misbehavior, inattentiveness, or laziness when it's really the opposite. 


I was diagnosed late, and a big part of what was affected was my motor skills being worse than what is considered to be normal. The only other person with hydrocephalus that I know that I could really compare this to has cerebral palsy, so it's really hard to tell how much of a difference it is. But with the part about telling the difference between left and right is something that is still a problem, at least when attempting to give directions. But when I was younger I couldn't tell the difference between my left and right shoes. 



Source: https://www.hydroassoc.org/docs/A_Teachers_Guide_to_Hydrocephalus.pdf


Also this a post I wrote the first time I was working on my job describing how I discovered my lack of sense of direction: https://timothy-landry.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-i-found-out-i-have-no-sense-of.html

No comments:

Post a Comment