Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Paraphrasing the hydrocephalus association's teacher guide: introduction and links to each post.

 If this is the post first that you're seeing from this series of posts, I've been going through the hydrocephalus association teacher's guide, and paraphrasing each section. I've been doing it backwards because the information from it that isn't easily found online is at the end of the guide and in the middle of it. So it made sense to me to start at the end of it, and work my way to the beginning. Also my first post was written 5 months before the rest of it, because I quickly lost the motivation to do it. If you look through my posts from the last couple years of blogging before I took a long break, you'll see that this was a consistent problem. 


Since I skipped the introduction, I've decided to do that last, and skip all the information I've already covered. The main thing that was covered in the introduction, but wasn't in the rest of the sections was that children usually have traumatic childhood experiences revolving around surgeries, rehabilitation, and other experiences in hospitals. The only other thing that I find worth mention is that the hydrocephalus association mentioned that shunts are extremely durable, so very much not likely to break due to falls and bumps. They also recommend not stopping them from participating in physical education, sports, and activities. I'm mentioning this because I've seen parents in hydrocephalus groups on Facebook worry about their shunts breaking, and I want to try to put people's minds to ease. But at the same time I personally encourage parents to ask their child's neurosurgeon advice about this. The one exception to shunts breaking that I know of where they hadn't had the same shunt for decades was from someone who I don't speak to anymore because she made me uneasy enough that I couldn't trust her to be my Facebook friend after a while,


I personally never had any traumatic medical experiences in school, or during school. For me my experiences involved being diagnosed late, and having therapies that had to with extra physical challenges because of that. When it comes to sports I was advised not to play contact sports.Most other sports but I was normally pretty bad, and it wasn't worth making the effort to me to keep practicing, or even try.  

 Here are the links to each section in this series of posts:

 

Physical problems associated with hydrocephalus

Learning disabilities (nonverbal learning disability) 

Learning disabilities (math, memory, attention)

Learning disabilities (motor skills, organizational skills) 

Social problems (isolation, depression, anger)

Social problems (social cues, nvd) 

 

 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment